Best Times
Good Morning,
My mother came up for a weekend visit with us this weekend. I have always been close to my mother and we certainly had a great time. She surprised me by bringing a little memory box she had put together from photos, little trophies and toys I carried when I was just a tot. As I went through the box of artifacts from my past my mind raced through the years recalling friends and moments I had nearly forgotten. As I continued looking and listening to the stories I thought back to my 30th birthday, which for some reason seemed like a big one.
It was June 12, and in two days I would be turning thirty. I was insecure about entering a new decade of my life and feared that my best years would be behind me.
On this particular day, I wasn't full of my usual vitality and a older coworker asked if there was anything wrong. I told him I was feeling anxious about turning thirty. I wondered how I would look back on my life once I reached his age, so I asked him, What was the best time of your life?
Without hesitation, my friend replied, Well, Jim, this is my philosophical answer to your philosophical question:
When I was a child in Russia and everything was taken care of for me and I was nurtured by my parents, that was the best time of my life.
When I was going to school and learning the things I know today, that was the best time of my life.
When I got my first job and had responsibilities and got paid for my efforts, that was the best time of my life.
When I met my wife and fell in love, that was the best time of my life.
When my wife and I had to flee Russia to save our lives. When we were together and safe on a ship bound for North America, that was the best time of my life.
When we came to the states and started a family, that was the best time of my life.
When I was a young father, watching my children grow up, that was the best time of my life.
And now, Jim, I am 64 years old. I have my health, I feel good and I am in love with my wife just as I was when we first met. This is the best time of my life.
My 30th birthday came and went like so many others. Now many year years have passed and as I sift through the box of memories my mother carefully put together I clearly see what my dear friend was speaking of each of my moments, each phase was truly the best times of my life.
Have a beautiful day and carry this thought - This time, like all times, is a good time, if we but know what to do with it.
Peace and Love, Jim
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home