Don't Hold Back
Recently I've been having some conversations with friends about
letting some of the things that once seemed so important take a back
seat to other activities. Now we're not talking about priorities like
feeding and taking of yourself, but more menial things like letting a
few dishes pile up in the sink, not religiously picking up the house
or washing the car. I know in my own life I can honestly say I'm
reading more and dusting less. I'm sitting in the yard and admiring
the view without fussing about the weeds in the garden. I'm trying to
spend more time with my family and friends. I'm starting to see that
whenever possible, life should be a pattern of experiences to savor,
not to endure. I'm trying to recognize these moments now and cherish
them.
These days I'm not "saving" anything; My wife and I use our good
china and dishes to celebrate any event we can think of. I over dress
for most occasions and do not mind a tie so much these days. I'm not
saving my good cologne for special parties, but wearing it for
everyday work in the studio and clients in the meetings. "Someday"
and "one of these days" have lost their meaning in my life. If it's
worth seeing or hearing or doing, I will experience it to its fullest.
What would you do knowing you may not be here for the tomorrow that
we all take for granted? Would you call family members and a few
close friends? Would you call a few former friends to apologize and
mend fences for past squabbles. I like to think I would go out for a
Chinese dinner or for drinks with friends. I'm guessing; I'll never
know.
It's those little things left undone that would make me angry if I
knew my hours were limited. Upset because I hadn't written certain
letters that I intended to write one of these days. Upset that I
didn't tell my wife, my friends and my parents often enough how much
I truly love them.
I'm trying very hard not to put off, hold back, or save anything that
would add laughter and luster to our lives, and every morning when I
open my eyes, I tell myself that it is special. Every day, every
minute, every breath truly is a gift.
Enjoy the day it is the beginning and the end, fleeting and yet
priceless. Spend it on something or someone you love.
Peace and Love, Jim

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home