Magic Hat
Good Morning,
I was twelve years old the first time life taught me a Noble Truth (the second one). My parents had taken us shopping, and I saw a magic hat kit that looked so fantastic it took my breath away. My father saw my reaction, and he remarked, You don't need any more magic tricks, you have plenty.
But that wasn't true -- nothing I had was near as magical as what was portrayed on the fantastic package for the magic hat kit. It came with a top hat that would vanish rabbits (not included) and produce milk all at the wave of the included magic wand. I wanted that magic hat more than I had ever wanted anything.
After seeing it in the store, the TV commercials began and soon I could think of nothing else, and I could not contemplate living without it. So I started cutting lawns after school. I worked hard and saved everything and each day I thought about the object of my desire. The magic hat provided me with many wonderful fantasies, and soon my entire future and even my very identity became designed around it.
The day came when i finally had saved enough money to purchase the hat and my mother took me to buy it that very weekend. The ride home seemed endless as I eagerly anticipated ripping the box open and becoming the magician of my dreams. When we finally got home I ran to my bedroom to open the box in private, after all magicians do not reveal secrets.
I will always remember opening that box and seeing a cheap plastic hat (that did not even fit my head) with poorly fitting parts and tricks so badly designed you could see how they were done simply by looking at the hat. My world was shattered. My grief overwhelmed me. I suffered every waking minute feeling cheated and tricked. My career as the world greatest magician had been ruined.
My father had a rule: Whatever we want or start is okay as long as we see it through to the bitter end. This included me learning every trick that came with the magic hat and giving a small performance for the family. From that moment on, every day my suffering unfolded like clockwork. While my friends were out skating in the neighborhood I would have to get out that hat and spend hours learning it's silly tricks.
These tedious sessions gave me time to reflect, and I realized that if I had not wanted that hat quite so much, if I had not painted such grand fantasies, life would definitely have been more to my liking at the time.
In all I endured two whole weeks of this drudge before I gave a small show to family and friends. It was not my best performance, but it allowed me to quietly cause the stupid hat to disappear without my parents noticing.
I recall this story often when I see myself wanting, craving or grasping for something and it is one that effectively reminds me of what cravings and desires can lead to when we place the wrong values on them. I did go on to have a successful little career as one of the youngest magicians on the circuit. I eventually did amaze and wow audiences of all ages and I did so with nothing more than everyday items and some professional tricks acquired over time.
That silly little plastic hat may have disappointed me, but the lesson it taught, enlightened me.
Have a beautiful weekend.
Peace and Love, Jim
I was twelve years old the first time life taught me a Noble Truth (the second one). My parents had taken us shopping, and I saw a magic hat kit that looked so fantastic it took my breath away. My father saw my reaction, and he remarked, You don't need any more magic tricks, you have plenty.
But that wasn't true -- nothing I had was near as magical as what was portrayed on the fantastic package for the magic hat kit. It came with a top hat that would vanish rabbits (not included) and produce milk all at the wave of the included magic wand. I wanted that magic hat more than I had ever wanted anything.
After seeing it in the store, the TV commercials began and soon I could think of nothing else, and I could not contemplate living without it. So I started cutting lawns after school. I worked hard and saved everything and each day I thought about the object of my desire. The magic hat provided me with many wonderful fantasies, and soon my entire future and even my very identity became designed around it.
The day came when i finally had saved enough money to purchase the hat and my mother took me to buy it that very weekend. The ride home seemed endless as I eagerly anticipated ripping the box open and becoming the magician of my dreams. When we finally got home I ran to my bedroom to open the box in private, after all magicians do not reveal secrets.
I will always remember opening that box and seeing a cheap plastic hat (that did not even fit my head) with poorly fitting parts and tricks so badly designed you could see how they were done simply by looking at the hat. My world was shattered. My grief overwhelmed me. I suffered every waking minute feeling cheated and tricked. My career as the world greatest magician had been ruined.
My father had a rule: Whatever we want or start is okay as long as we see it through to the bitter end. This included me learning every trick that came with the magic hat and giving a small performance for the family. From that moment on, every day my suffering unfolded like clockwork. While my friends were out skating in the neighborhood I would have to get out that hat and spend hours learning it's silly tricks.
These tedious sessions gave me time to reflect, and I realized that if I had not wanted that hat quite so much, if I had not painted such grand fantasies, life would definitely have been more to my liking at the time.
In all I endured two whole weeks of this drudge before I gave a small show to family and friends. It was not my best performance, but it allowed me to quietly cause the stupid hat to disappear without my parents noticing.
I recall this story often when I see myself wanting, craving or grasping for something and it is one that effectively reminds me of what cravings and desires can lead to when we place the wrong values on them. I did go on to have a successful little career as one of the youngest magicians on the circuit. I eventually did amaze and wow audiences of all ages and I did so with nothing more than everyday items and some professional tricks acquired over time.
That silly little plastic hat may have disappointed me, but the lesson it taught, enlightened me.
Have a beautiful weekend.
Peace and Love, Jim
Labels: Delusion, Noble Truths, Understanding

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home