Monday, March 12, 2007

Thought Experiments

Good Morning,

While in college I had a wonderful professor for philosophy. Typical of each class was some form of group discussion, which was usually started out with what he referred to as a "thought experiment." This was usually some form of fact or myth that prompted one to ponder questions, thoughts, or ideas that challenge ones self and processes. I always enjoyed these little exercises and the insights they would bring.

This morning I thought I would share a few I have pondered over the years. Given just a little time and energy, these contemplations carry the energy of a single thought, which can change a life -- or even a society. Try pondering these questions and see if they don't challenge your ideas about how you fit into the world around you!

Thought Experiment #1 - Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest person you have ever seen, then ask yourself: are your actions going to be of any use to them? How might this reflection change what you are about to do?

Thought Experiment #2 - Think about how powerful thoughts are. Can you still be comfortable thinking negative thoughts?

Thought Experiment #3 - Can you see the cloud in a piece of paper? Paper comes from a trees, which are nurtured by water, which drops from the clouds. Does this understanding of dependencies change the way you perceive yourself and your importance in relation to other beings?

Thought Experiment #3 - It is said that the flapping of a butterfly's wings in Brazil can cause a tornado in Texas. Do your small actions impact the world in ways you may not come to know about?

If you have a "thought experiment" or favorite contemplation, I would love to hear it. Until then have a beautiful morning and carry this thought: What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind.

Peace and Love, Jim

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home