Thursday, July 26, 2007

Work

Good Morning,

Recently at work we have been working on a rather difficult project.
It's not that the work is difficult or anything we have not done
before. This particular client simply lacks vision, understanding and
true objectives, which in turn make the work feel unrealistic,
tiresome and without a real point. This is no reason to despair, but
it is taking a certain amount of courage and fortitude to carry off
the tasks. For the past two weeks I have been constantly asking
myself if this was another client would the work feel differently,
would we feel differently about the job at hand and why does it feel
this way in the first place?

Maybe the questions are unwarranted, maybe it's all in our heads? The
one thing I keep returning to is there is a joy in productive effort
that is like no other. If we can create value through whatever we do
then the feeling is so very good and right. It may sometimes seem
that our work is a burden. Yet work is a burden only if we decide to
see it as such. Actually, work can be one of life's greatest joys.
For it is our opportunity to create. If we resent having to work,
consider the alternative. Imagine how boring life would be if we were
never able to make a positive, productive difference. The main thing
that makes work unpleasant is our attitude towards it. With a correct
attitude, not only are our efforts more enjoyable, they produce more
valuable results.

I like anyone struggle daily to remind myself of these things, but I
know that in order to make life full and rich I must start with
taking a joyful approach to the work I do. If we can discover joy in
the effort, then our rewards will naturally follow.

Have a serene day and think on this - Your work is to discover your
world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.

Peace and Love, Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home