Monday, April 02, 2007

"Cool"

Good Morning,

I hope everyone enjoyed a peaceful and rested weekend. I actually got
away from the home improvement routine for a night and the benefit
was tremendous. I have come to understand the meaning of "cool" from
a buddhist perspective. A person is `cool' when he or she is free
from pressing desires (grasping) which always produce dissonant
emotions (uncoolness).
When we are "uncool" we squirm with needs, waiting for the next
coffee or cigarette or chance to break into the conversation, and
thus in a state called "senseless agitation." On the other hand, a
cool person is free of cravings and repulsions, and is thus in an
empowered state of equanimity.

Being cool and detached is not being cold and uncaring. I've noticed
that when I'm feeling cool and requiring nothing from the situation,
it seems to clarify my thoughts, and in this state I tend to respond
to other people's agendas more, instead of my head being full of my
own agenda. Coolness means more compassion and less selfness – the
opposite of being heated.

Interestingly, the word "nirvana" is often translated as "fully blown
out," in reference to the flames of desire. A very cool state indeed!

Have a beautiful day and carry this thought - The world opens to the
enthusiast who keeps cool.

Peace and Love, Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home