Thursday, April 20, 2006

Natural Reactions

Good Morning,

I just wanted to share another simple story this week about the nature of others and ourselves. Funny how loving ones offspring or family is easy, yet many of us find it difficult to love or feel for those that cause us pain or anguish. One step closer to loving all things and all people, is too simply understand what one's own natural response is and why we do it (mindfully). Todays story illustrates what i mean:

One morning, after he had finished his meditation, the old man opened his eyes and saw a scorpion floating helplessly in the water. As the scorpion was washed closer to the tree, the old man quickly stretched himself out on one of the long roots that branched out into the river and reached out to rescue the drowning creature. As soon as he touched it, the scorpion stung him. Instinctively the man withdrew his hand. A minute later, after he had regained his balance, he stretched himself out again on the roots to save the scorpion. This time the scorpion stung him so badly with its poisonous tail that his hand became swollen and bloody and his face contorted with pain.

At that moment, a passerby saw the old man stretched out on the roots struggling with the scorpion and shouted: "Hey, stupid old man, what's wrong with you? Only a fool would risk his life for the sake of an ugly, evil creature. Don't you know you could kill yourself trying to save that ungrateful scorpion?"

The old man turned his head. Looking into the stranger's eyes he said calmly, "My friend, just because it is the scorpion's nature to sting, that does not change my nature to save."

Have a great day and remember, the sting does not last forever, but the effects of compassion will span lifetimes.

Peace and Love, Jim

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While your story here is truthful and illustrates a great point, what happens when we encounter such actions between one of our own kind? You tell me what you’re gonna do when a murderer enters your house in the middle of the night with malicious intent. I doubt one would invite him in for a cup of tea ;) I think there are things we do for self preservation. I may be ignorant in thinking this, but I sure as hell am not gonna stick my neck out on the line for something that I know is going to bite me in the ass. Yes, it’s a selfish thing, but it’s also instinctive. Everyone/everything wants to live and they’re going to do anything in their power to do that. I wouldn’t blame anyone for such actions, it’s only natural and somehow makes sense. This is all very loosely put mind you, as we all know life and circumstances are much more complicated).

6:57 AM  
Blogger The Daily Buddha said...

Ahhh instinct, always an interesting subject. How do we know what instinct is for us? That goes against the very definition of the word.

We are taught everything we know, instinct for us is kind of handed down from generation to generation. We must be careful not to simply react without reason or we make mistakes and miss opportunities.

As for your example, yes I will defend my house, myself and those I love, but if someone took a friend or loved one I cared out in a malicious way I would hope (since this is the point of my Buddhist practice) that I could forgive them.

The world is never moved by hate or people screaming "kill him because he killed my wife", but everyone remebers and is given hope to the woman can walk up to her husbands killer and say "it's ok, I forgive you".

As for self-preservtation I can only speak personally(we all must find our own way). For me there is no self, so what am I trying to preserve? Instead of living my life being fearful and protective of saving something that does not exist I am living everday moment to moment to it's fullest and enjoying things I had been too afraid to stare down all of my "selfhood".

I can only tell you this my dear friend, there is less to fear than you know and like our instincts, fears are often handed down to us as well.

Would the squirrel leap from branch to branch are run along powerlines if it were afraid? What kind of world would we have if everything were afraid?

Look around.

Now you see why we must change, my generation, your generation, all generations. Much like the Samurai/Monk story, it starts with us, one person, mind and heart at a time.

I understand your view and always appreciate the comments, much love my friend.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit that my comment was very much “on the surface” of things. And I really like what you say about self preservation and instinct. I think I personally have not reached that area yet where I can just let go. I don’t think I live my life in fear but I definitely do want to protect “something”. I think that “something” is the feeling that makes me feel that I’m alive, the ability to touch and react/interact. And because I don’t know what happens to us after death I guess I conclude that since a corpse doesn’t touch and react, neither will I when I die…maybe. That I don’t know, but I brace for the worst. Sad isn’t it? Saying this I only want to illustrate that I do so manically hold onto this shred of existence known as me….but woah, that’s a whole different topic.

As for forgiveness, yes that would be great if we could just all get along. I’ve held a grudge all my life with certain people that tormented me in my childhood. Over the years I’ve tried to forgive, and while the weight has lessened it is still there unfortunately. It’s like this sad weight that I drag around with me everywhere. I know that it’s only hurting myself and that I should just let go, but for some stupid reason I just can’t. no matter how hard I try I always seem to end up thinking ill when their names come up. Perhaps this is some reason for my deep routed inability to forgive. And the worst part about it is that I feel in my heart that it’s wrong and silly. *sigh* I can only hope that more time will heal and I can grow some sense to get over such absurdity…oh the melodrama =P

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home