The Point
Good Morning,
I hope everyone had a beautiful weekend. The weather was glorious and the rain fell on cue just as we finished up some major plantings around our house. Over dinner with friends the question came up about religions and their various forms of salvation. Although this is normally a touchy subject for any group to discuss, the conversation was handled with dignity and courteousness. During the discussion a friend turn to me and asked if Buddhism was about salvation or heaven?
Although I feel we are all ultimately responsible for our salvation, the thought for the day says it best for me personally: It is said that when Buddha was first Enlightened he was asked, "Are you a God?" "No," he replied. "Are you a saint?" "No." "Then what are you?"
And he answered, "I am awake."
Have a wonderful day and share the feeling of love with someone today, it's our planets number 1 renewable resource!
Peace and Love, Jim
jim@thedailybuddha.com
www.thedailybuddha.com

2 Comments:
Sorry, I think i was asleep when you sent that out this morning :)
That quote is a perfect representation of why Buddishm appeals so much to me. There is no real way you can find any reason to dislike or disbelive what the buddist belief shows us. In its unbiased believe that we all are to live our lives as best we can, and no matter which religious believe you belive in, the journey is more important than the end. Isn't it better to think "what am I going to do today/tomorrow to better my self and others?" as opposed to "what is going to happen to me when i die?"
I have encountered many who believe in other religious beliefs put strong emphisis on what will happen to me when I die - how I will either "rewarded" or "punished". This focus on the "end goal", and how you must live a life conformed to a set number of rules seems narrow minded and forceful.
Now I am not saying all people of other religious beliefs think this way. As an example, my Mom is an avid Christian, very spiritual in her beliefs. Growing up, she was very closed minded and unable to think outside of what was being taught to her. However, about 9 years ago, she seemed to come to a realization - that people are feel to make a decision on thier own belief and so long as that belief is for the greater good of themselves and others - it follows different paths to the same end. Ever since this realization, my mom seems to have opened her mind to new experiences and beliefs. And while she sometimes seems to ingore the obvious truths to some realities, it only helps protect her from harm and allows her to live a trouble free life.
Beautifully put my friend. I have the honor of knowing your mother and she is indeed a loving and compassionate soul. She has many values we should all strive to possess.
We are closer to Nirvana than many of us will ever realize.
Namaste, my friend.
Post a Comment
<< Home