Monday, March 20, 2006

Most Precious

Good Morning,

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. As spring draws near you can feel the buzz in nature as the season changes once again. Kelly and I had some hard decisions to make this weekend concerning our little Chai. Kelly has always had allergies to cats and dogs and we had hoped this would not be an issue with Chai's extremely short hair length. Unfortunately that is not the case and both Kelly and Chai spend more time in separation than together. This doesn't make much of a life for any of us.

Chai is now happily back living with her sister and a family who can give her the time and attention such a wonderful little dog deserves. As I consider Kelly's tough choice I am reminded of a beautiful story to end on:

A wise woman who was traveling in the mountains found a precious stone in a stream. The next day she met another traveler who was hungry, and the wise woman opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked the woman to give it to him. She did so without hesitation. The traveler left, rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime. After some thought a few days later he came back to return the stone to the wise woman. "I've been thinking," he said, "I know how valuable the stone is, but I give it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious. Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me the stone.

The greatest gifts we can give or receive have little to do with us at all. Have a great day!


Peace and Love, Jim
jim@thedailybuddha.com
www.thedailybuddha.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! Sorry to hear about the separation :( Though I am sure it is all for the best.

It would be great to just give up whatever valuables that we own, just for the sake of knowing that in the end, it of no real value. We as a society define the worth of that valuable item. Only problem is (at least in today's society) we cannot give our most of our most precious valuables away. While I would like to live a simple life with no worry of money or security, it's a very tough thing to do in today's world... though, without TV, I feel we are one step closer :)

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home