A Middle Ground
Good Morning,
I returned from a wonderful weekend with peers and friends both new and old and the time spent together (no matter how short) was incredibly rich. As I sat and listened to others, I noticed a trend for placing blame on something or someone whenever an unpleasant subject came up. Be it a job, a client or some other form of displeasure, there always seemed to be that familiar escape path we call blame.
We habitually erect a barrier called blame that keeps us from communicating genuinely with others, and we fortify it with our concepts of who's right and who's wrong. We do that with the people who are closest to us and we do it with political systems, with all kinds of things that we don't like about our associates or our society. It is a very common, ancient, well-perfected device for trying to feel better. Blame others. Blaming is a way to protect your heart, trying to protect what is soft and open and tender in yourself. Rather than own that pain, we scramble to find some comfortable ground. The work that truly needs to be done leads us to live in a more tender, responsible place. . . In the Gap Between Right and Wrong.
I missed you all and hope to see each of you soon. Have a great day and remember if you feel unhappy in what you do or where you are, it's only because you have not seen the opportunity of your situation.
Peace and Love, Jim
jim@thedailybuddha.com
www.thedailybuddha.com

2 Comments:
welcome back! :)
interesting concept. I would have to agree with most of it but from personal experience when I do something wrong even if I try and blame someone/thing I always know deep down that it was my fault and I do feel really bad or stupid. I don't think we can run from blame deep down, most of us know better then that. I think yes, we put on a happy face and blame someone/thing else only to end the situation and draw people away from focusing on the issue. does that make any sense? I'm a little rusty this morning ;)
Yes Anna you do get the point. Blame is only when you point at someone else. When we ourselves take the load, it is not "blame at that point, but "responsibility". If we look hard enough and long enough their is really no one to blame for anything in our lives, we simply must assume responsibilty for all actions, even those we do not see as in our control. We can always control how we feel or perceive something, so the responsibilty as you have eloquently pointed out is really always ours.
Post a Comment
<< Home