Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Old Thoughts

Good Morning,

We are beginning to wind down on our house renovation, which means a
little free time to get caught up on some reading. I came across a
series of texts that go way back. It is amazing that even in the year
805 the bright luminous qualities of the human mind were known,
utilized and appreciated. I thought I would share a few of my
favorites. Wisdom it seems is timeless!
You should each individually Clarify your own mind, Getting to the
root Without pursuing the branches. Just get to the root, And the
branches come of themselves. If you want to get to the root, Just get
to know your mind. This mind is basically the root of all mundane and
supramundane phenomena; as long as the mind does not become obsessed
with good and bad, you will realize that all things are basically
just so. - Ta-mei (ca.805)

Cease practice based on intellectual understanding, pursuing words
and following after speech. Learn the backward step that turns your
light inward to illuminate within. Body and mind of themselves will
drop away and your original face will be manifest. - Dogen (1200-1253)

How long it has been since teaching was re-thought? Stubbornly
obsessed with doctrine and habit, It's a shame that for a thousand
years no one has spoken seriously of this essence. Better to follow
the children and bounce a ball on these spring days. - Ryokan
(1758-1831)

When I write down my thoughts, they do not escape me. This action
makes me remember my strength which I forget at all times. I educate
myself proportionately to my captured thought. I aim only to
distinguish the contradiction between my mind and nothingness. -
Jymy (1964 - ????)

Have a wonderful day and contemplate this - Never mistake knowledge
for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a
life.

Peace and Love, Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home