Birthdays
Today is my dear wife's birthday (Happy Birthday!). As I reflect over our long and wonderful relationship I realize how much we have shared and grown over the years. During a mindful walk on one of our favorite trails yesterday we discussed how birthdays came to represent so much in our culture, both good and bad. For many it's the celebration of being, for children (more often the parents) it's a rite of passage. As we grow older, many people tend to not look forward to them, many of us even become upset as we see the countdown towards the inevitable.
The reality is that birthdays are simply days, we as humans (do squirrels have birthdays?) have devised and supported the concept of "birthdays" for better or worse. I am not saying that a birthday should not be cause for celebration. I am saying that all the other things and feelings we attach to them are simply constructs of our minds. This ultimately means that age is a concept as well. A simple saying and today's thought demonstrates this beautifully:
How old would you be if you did not know how old you were? If you did not count the years then how would you act? how would you perceive your self then?
Happy birthday to my beautiful wife, we have grown together with each passing year and one thing has transcended all time; My love for you.
I wish everyone a peaceful and light filled day!
Peace and Love, Jim
jim@thedailybuddha.com
www.thedailybuddha.com

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home